While naturally curly hair is having a big moment, there are still some misperceptions surrounding curls. While many of these lies about curls persist, we are here to debunk them once and for all. Check them out below.
1. Curls Are Unruly: If someone tells you that you need a comb to manage your curls or that it should be painful, ignore them! To make your curls their best, learn proper curl care techniques. Make sure your curls are properly hydrated and conditioners to avoid frizz and breakage.
2. People Will Treat You Differently: Some people will behave badly around natural curls (think touching or asking rude questions), but the majority of people admire your curls and wish they also had them! Feel free to set up boundaries surrounding your curls and offer education when questions are asked.
3. Curly Hair Doesn't Grow: The rumor is that natural curl doesn't grow. Unless it's chemically damaged, your curls will grow just fine. To avoid damage, keep your curls trimmed and conditioned. It might take longer to see length due to your coils, but keep at it.
4. You Need a Protective Style: Many natural curlies have been told that for their curls to grow, they need to wear protective styles. In truth, braids and weaves pull at your curl's roots, which can cause breakage. If you do decide to wear braids, keep them looser and remove them frequently so curls don't become damaged. If you do wear your hair in protective styles, make sure to hydrate and moisturize.
5. It's Unacceptable in the Workplace: While some workplaces don't allow braids or dreads, many people are recognizing the beauty that is naturally curly hair. Like anyone, as long as your curls are neat and orderly, they look as professional as straight hair.
Read more untruths about curls here and let us know what you think!