Have you ever wondered about why you should prepoo your curls? Prepoo has many benefits, especially for our curly girls with kinky, coarser textures. Read on to learn more about prepooing your curls.
What is prepoo?
It’s pretty simply. Prepoo is a treatment that you apply to your scalp and curls prior to shampooing. It’s left on for about 30-60 minutes before washing your curls.
Why you should prepoo your curls:
- Offers protection from harsh cleansers for delicate curls
- Adds back in moisture
- Increases shine in curls
- Helps soften dry, coarse locks
- Can encourage healthy curl growth
- Can be used as a massage oil on the scalp
What do you use to prepoo?
It doesn’t take a special product to prepoo. In fact, you probably already have some of these oils on hand. If you opt to use oil, you can use olive, coconut, almond, or jojoba. You can also create your own unique blend based upon your curl’s individual needs. If you want to go the all natural route, you can mix up a homemade prepoo treatment using bananas, honey, whole fat yogurt, and avocado. There are also products available to purchase as well.
How do you prepoo?
- Divide your curls into even sections, depending on length and density. You’ll probably end up with 6-8 clipped off sections. Begin detangling using a wide toothed comb or your fingers.
- Once your curls are knot free, you can coat each section with your prepoo treatment. Make sure you’re truly saturating each individual curl as well as your scalp. Take a few minutes to massage the oil into your scalp to help break up excess build up.
- Twist or braid each individual section of curls.
- Allow the prepoo to sit in your curls overnight or at the very least for one hour. Make sure to cover your curls with a plastic shower cap before hitting the hay, so you don’t ruin your bedding.
- Wash curls as you normally would and follow with a deep conditioning treatment.
You can ready more about How To Keep Natural Curls Moisturized.