Spring is officially here and now is great time to think about getting back to basics when it comes to your naturally curly hair. Wash day can be a little overwhelming at times, but having a good routine in place can make everything go much more smoothly.
- Prepoo with oils: A prepoo is a great tool to utilize every time you shampoo, particularly if you're planning on clarifying that day. Washing can be very tough on curls, and prepoo will help protect delicate strands. Apply a natural oil, such as avocado or coconut oil from root to tips approximately 30 minutes before shampooing.
- Section before washing: For those of us naturally curly girls with more than 6-7 inches of growth, sectioning is going to be the best way to make sure you thoroughly cleanse your hair. Section curls into 4-6 sections and create twists. Remove on twist at a time to cleanse. Re-twist once you've cleansed that section of your hair.
- Lather up: Reach for a sulfate-free shampoo with natural ingredients, and lather up to cleanse your curls. Gently scrub your scalp and work your shampoo through your curls. If you feel as though you need another wash, cowash instead of using more shampoo.
- Condition, condition: Now's not the time to get lazy with your routine. Make sure to condition your curls after shampooing to rehydrate them. If you have time, now is a great opportunity to deep condition your curls as well.
- Finish up: Dry your curls using an old, soft t-shirt or a microfiber towel. Your regular terry cloth will tear at your fragile curls and cause breakage. Instead of rubbing, blot your way to clean, fresh curls.
To read more about how to wash your natural curls, check here.