Curly girls know it’s not all S-waves and spirals when it comes to taming your mane. Getting your curls to behave and learning which styling routine works best for your hair is a journey. Thankfully, there are curly girls who have already made that journey and are here to share their tried and true styling routines for the best curls, ever. Whether you’ve been blessed with waves or coils, we’ve pulled together the top YouTube hair routines for all types of curls. Find your hair type below and get your curls poppin’!
TYPE 2 WAVY GIRLS
1. IndiaBatsonBeauty: Wavy girl, India is following the Curly Girl Method by Loraine Massey. This means using products with no silicones or sulfates and styling sans heat. So far she’s loving it and getting amazing results. Follow her tutorial so you too can achieve swavy-waves.source:youtube.com @IndiaBatsonBeauty
Shop IndiaBatsonBeauty’s Products:
As I Am Coconut Co-Wash ($9): India vigorously massages this co-wash into her scalp, to remove product build-up and restore her hair’s natural oils.
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner ($11): India believes you can never use enough conditioner to nourish curly hair and this conditioner fills your thirsty curls with the moisture they need.
Fekkai Apple Cider Shampoo ($20): India uses this clarifying ‘poo once a month to remove product build-up from styling products.
Shea Moisture Zanzibar Marine Complex Age-Defy & Color Protect Leave-In Conditioner ($13): As India’s hair is air-drying she spritzes this leave-in conditioner on her ends for an added moisture boost.
KMS Silk Sheen Polishing Serum ($20): To add shine and keep flyaways at bay, India rubs this serum throughout her face-framing strands and ends.
2. Laura Neuzeth: For all you lazy-wavy girls out there Laura has got just the routine for you. Follow along as she takes us through her routine from cleansing to styling for the ultimate waves.source:youtube.com @Laura Neuzeth
Shop Laura Neuzeth’s Products:
Suave Essentials Daily Clarifying Shampoo ($7): If you have a lot of product build-up Laura suggests using this shampoo one time every two weeks.
Redken Frizz Dismiss Sulfate-Free Shampoo ($14): For a regular cleanse sans sulfates Laura swears by this ‘poo for day-to- day cleansing.
Redken Frizz Dismiss Conditioner ($14): To keep your hair soft and frizz-free use this weightless conditioner to hydrate those curls.
Turkish T Turkish Towel ($30): Don’t use a regular towel! Laura beats frizz with this lightweight Turkish towel to dry or plop her hair.
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum ($18): This silicone-free serum is great for layering as it allows other products to penetrate your hair all while sealing in moisture.
Living Proof Curl Leave-In Conditioner ($26): For added hydration Laura scrunches this leave-in throughout her strands to enrich those thirsty curls.
Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream ($28): If you want really defined, healthy and bouncy curls, get this in your waves!
3. Chloe Rose: She’s passing on her knowledge with this updated tutorial on managing naturally wavy hair. With product experience in a beauty store and styling her own wavy hair for 21 years, Chloe is sharing her most brilliant tips for catching the perfect waves.source:youtube.com @Chloe Rose
Shop Chloe Rose’s Products:
Abba Color Protection Shampoo ($17): A lot of curly girls follow the no ‘poo method, but if you use a lot of styling products and co-washing doesn’t cut it, Chloe suggests trying this sulfate-free ‘poo every two to three days.
Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner ($12): This sulfate and silicone-free conditioner for dull or damaged hair will bring a brilliant shine to your waves.
Kinky Curly Knot Today ($12): To beat frizz, Chloe uses this as a leave-in conditioner for hydrated curls.
DevaCare Arc AnGEL ($20): For added definition, scrunch this gel throughout your hair while it’s soaking wet.
BioSilk Silk Therapy Serum ($12): For an added barrier against frizz, Chloe uses a small amount of his serum to tame second day hair.
TYPE 3 CURLY GIRLS
1. Shameless Maya: She’s funny, she’s brilliant and her curls on point, so sit back and let Maya take you through her ultimate curly hair guide for Type 3 curls.source:youtube.com @Shameless Maya
Shop Shameless Maya’s Products:
Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Oil ($5): Work this oil throughout your entire head and brush-detangle throughout, starting at the ends and working up to your roots
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo ($11): Maya swears by working this ‘poo through her scalp so she doesn’t strip her curls of their natural oils.
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner ($11): If you’re looking for slip, get this on your hair!
Parnevu Organic Hair Mayonnaise ($7): Your curls will love this nourishing conditioner. Comb this hair mayonnaise throughout your hair and let it quench those curls.
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie ($13): Once you try it you’ll be hooked — Maya swears that just a dollop will enrich your curls with lots of moisture
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk ($11): This will give your curls a light hold without that slicked look.
2. All That Beauty Jazz: After years of straightening her hair, Jasmine Kamel has had enough! She’s finally embraced her big, beautiful curls and is passing on her product knowledge and styling tips to you. P.S. For cleansing and conditioning, Jasmine finds that Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo ($11) and Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner ($11) work the best on her Type 3 curls.source:[email protected]
Shop All That Beauty Jazz’s Products:
Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Split End Protector ($7): After cleansing and conditioning, Jasmine liberally scrunches this throughout her ends for smooth as silk curls.
IC Hair Polisher and Heat Protection Serum ($9): If you’re going to be diffusing your hair dry make sure you give your curls some added protection with this heat protecting polish that doubles as a flyaway tamer.
Nene´s Secret Curly & Cute Curl Creme ($9): This creme creates bouncy, soft, and super moisturized curls that will retain their shape in any type of weather.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold and Shine Moisture Mist ($11): Spritz this throughout your hair to add brilliant shine to your curls and a yummy coconut scent.
OGX Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum ($8): For strong, healthy curls, spread this serum throughout your strands to lock in moisture.
3. SunKiss Alba: This curl sister follows the Curly Girl Method and dishes her weekly routine in her tutorial. Follow along so you too can get bombshell curls.source: youtube.com @SunKissAlba
Shop SunKiss Alba’s Products:
Dr. Bronner’s White Kernel Organic Virgin Coconut Oil ($12): Alba finds that this is the perfect oil for finger detangling, scalp massaging and sealing in moisture.
Deva Curl No-Poo ($22): If you follow the Curly Girl Method, then this zero lather cleansing conditioner will be your BFF.
Deva Curl One Condition ($22): If you’re looking for soft, frizz-free curls, then you’ve found your one and only conditioner.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk ($11): Alba use this ultra moisturizing styler all over her hair to keep it saturated.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie ($13): Alba twirls her hair with this curl enhancing smoothie to give her curls length, definition and style for days.
Trader Joes 100% Pure Jojoba Oil ($4): Scrunch this miracle oil on your ends to keep them nourished and hydrated.
TYPE 4 COILY GIRLS
1. Naptural85: Whitney White has been slaying kinky, coily hair with her YouTube tutorials for some time now. Here she brings us a new washing and styling theory that she has been testing — it’s called, Water Only Hair Wash (WOHW.) Check out the process in her tutorial to see if it will work for you.source:youtube.com @Naptural85
Shop Naptural85’s Products:
Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner ($12): A combination of tea tree oil, peppermint, eucalyptus, rosemary and thyme cleans away residue from styling products and leaves your curls smelling fresh.
DIY All Purpose Homemade Hair & Body Oil: Whitney blends olive oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil and vitamin E to create this magical oil that will work wonders on your hair and skin.
DIY Natural Homemade Shea Butter Cremes: Whitney mixes unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil and castor oil to whip up a batch of Sticky Pomade and Smooth Every Day Creme.
Mountain Rose Herbs Unrefined Coconut Oil ($32): This is a great oil for general moisturizing and detangling, it also serves as a protective layer for your fragile curls.
2. Tasha Green: Follow along with Tasha as she shows all of us Type 4 girls how to get your curls poppin’!source:youtube.com @Tasha Green
Shop Tasha’s Products:
Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Raw Organic Coconut Oil ($14): This raw, virgin coconut is the gold standard for curly hair — it detangles, smoothes and moisturizes with the best of ‘em.
Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Gentle Shampoo ($10): Tasha cleanses her scalp while her hair is in twists, focusing on her roots to remove product build-up. Curls can withstand frequent washing with this gentle cleanser, ‘cause this ‘poo is free from sulfates, mineral oil, parabens and petrolatum.
Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Knot Out Conditioner ($10): Not only is this conditioner filled with loads of slip, but it also detangles, boosts moisture and naturally elongates and defines curls.
Dark and Lovely Amla Legend Rejuvenating Ritual Deep Treatment ($7): This stuff is amazing. Amla oil is extracted from an Indian superfruit that’s known for rejuvenating and enhancing curly hair’s length, strength and shine.
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner ($11): If you want your curly hair to be shiny and strong, then you’ve got to add this deep conditioner to your styling repertoire.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie ($13): Not only does this product smell pretty darn good, it hydrates and protects hair while reducing breakage, smoothes hair for a soft, silky feel and controls frizz while adding brilliant shine too.
ECOCO Moroccan Argan Oil Styling Gel ($6): Made with 100% argan oil, this styling gel gives ultimate hold and Tasha loves how it clumps curls together and makes her wash and go’s last for days.
L’Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil ($13): Blended from six flower extracts, this weightless, oil will give you touchable soft curls with maximum shine. Tasha also uses this as a heat protectant for when she diffuses her hair.
Garner Ultimate Blends, The Sleek Restorer Oil ($14): For dry, frizzy hair this lightweight, oil
that’s blended with pure coconut oil, promises to keep your hair looking sleek and smooth for up to 72 hours.
3. Zara and Nicola: Get your hair on fleek using the Max Hydration Method. This is how Zara gets her 4a curls to stay healthy, hydrated and looking fab. Check it out in her tutorial.source:youtube.com @Zara and Nicola
Shop Zara and Nicola’s Products:
Kinky Curly Knot Today ($12): Use this miracle conditioner as a leave-in to keep your coils saturated.
Kinky Curly Curling Custard ($17): Zara gently rakes this gel through her hair, distributing it evenly from root to tip for ultimate curl definition.
Do you have a curly hair routine that works? Let us know your hair type and share your routine down below.
Latest posts by Michelle Swift (see all)
- Curl Talk: Which Curly Hair-Cutting Method Is Right For You? - August 25, 2016
- #MyCurlsCan: 5 Versatile Haircuts For Naturally Curly Hair - August 1, 2016
- 6 Boho Chic Updos For Curly Hair - July 27, 2016