It’s all over YouTube, Instagram and BuzzFeed, celebs and stylists rave about it, even your great grandmother used it. Have you hopped on the coconut oil train yet? If not and you’re wondering why all the hype, then keep reading ‘cause we’re revealing seven clever benefits of coconut oil that will make your curls happy. But, first things first. In order for your curls to reap the benefits, you’ve got to use the right kind of coconut oil. Be sure to buy only extra virgin coconut oil that hasn’t been bleached, deodorized, or refined and leave the hydrogenated stuff in the cooking aisle. The real stuff is a natural multitasker, loaded with powerful nutrients that can combat anything — from a dry scalp to split ends, coconut oil has you covered. Check out all the benefits down below:
- Scalp Treatment: Massage this miracle oil into your scalp and let its antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties get to work. Coconut oil can even stimulate hair growth and help keep dreaded dandruff flakes at bay, by making sure your scalp stays healthy and nourished.
How To Apply: Twice a week add a dollop of coconut oil to the center of your palms and rub it between your hands to melt it from its hardened state. Massage it into your scalp using the pads of your fingers for 5-10 minutes or until it completely saturates your scalp.
2. Detangler: If you’re still searching for the perfect product to transform your most tearful detangling sessions — coconut oil to the rescue.
How To Apply: On wash day, while your hair is damp or wet, section off your hair. Working through each section, spray your hair thoroughly with water from a water bottle. Add a good- sized scoop of coconut oil and massage into the section. Next, use a wide tooth comb to gently detangle through any stubborn knots. Finally, put that section into a loose, fat twist and move on to the next.
3. Pre ‘Poo: If the no ‘poo or co-wash method doesn’t work for your curls, try this nourishing coconut oil, pre ‘poo instead. This treatment will help hydrate and protect your curls from the harsh shampooing process. Be sure to watch My Natural Sistas tutorial on whipping up a batch of DIY Coconut Oil Treatment and how to pre ‘poo with it.
How To Apply: On dry hair, section off your hair and apply a generous amount of coconut oil throughout each section. Braid or twist each section, cover with a plastic cap and leave the oil on your hair for one hour or even overnight.
source: youtube.com @My Natural Sistas
4. Deep Conditioner: To take dry, brittle and damaged hair to bouncy, shiny and defined hair let coconut oil work its magic by leaving it on your strands overnight.
How To Apply: About twice a month, apply coconut oil throughout clean, damp hair before going to sleep. Cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap and plop with a cotton T-shirt or wrap in a silk scarf. Coconut oil is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft because of its fatty acid structure, making your curls soft, moisturized and protected. In the morning wash it out for smoother, shinier curls.
5. Shine Enhancer: If you want shiny, silky curls without greasy or weighed down hair, coconut oil will add the perfect amount of sheen and smoothness. (Photo via Curly Nikki)
How To Apply: Get the Indian Spot’s DIY Natural Hair Shine Balm in yo’ hair for glamorous shine. Apply a small amount of the balm to your fingers and gently work it through your ends and anywhere you want a shine boost.
6. Frizz Tamer: Before you give up and hide your hair under a scarf, try using coconut oil to tame your unruly hair. It will not only smooth away flyaways and frizz, but it will also create a protective barrier to shield your delicate curls from the harsh elements.
How To Apply: Apply a dime size amount onto your fingers and then run it through your problem areas, smoothing the frizzies in a flash.
7. Sealant: Got a case of split ends? Coconut oil is the perfect fix for creating a protective barrier between your frayed ends and the elements, keeping those ragged ends smoothed and sealed.
How To Apply: Rub a very small amount of coconut oil between your fingers and lightly apply it to your problem areas to seal in moisture. If you’re not keen on the scent, add a few drops of rose water or your favorite essential oil.
Do you use coconut oil in your hair? Share your favorite benefits, tips or tricks in the comments down below.