Figuring out the best way to style your curls is all part of developing your own curl care regime. Many curlies struggle with figuring out how to get the best from their curls but this technique will help!. It's called the rake and shake, and once you give it a try we're sure it'll change how you style your curls.
1. Prep: Use a sulfate free shampoo to cleanse your curls. Make sure to use conditioner to get well moisturized curls. Blot dry with a t-shirt or a microfiber towel.
2. Spray: Add in a protectant spray to prime your curls for styling. Apply to each section, making sure product gets on all of your curls.
3. Product: Separate curls into five sections and hold apart with duck billed clips. Squeeze a small amount of gel or mousse into your hands. You should select a product that will keep moisture in. Using your fingers, rake the product through your curls from roots to tips. Once you reach the end, hold onto your curls and shake your wrist, which will encourage your curls' natural pattern to emerge. Repeat on the other four sections.
4. Dry: All to air dry or use your diffuser on a low heat setting. Try to avoid touching your curls while they're drying so as not to disturb the curl pattern.
5. Style: Once curls are completely dry, use a small amount of product to finish your curls, such as a shine serum. Apply the product to your palms, hold your curls into a loose ponytail and run your curls over your curls to distribute the product throughout.