There is a lot of information out there when it comes to taking care of your curls. However, there are some basic tenements that can help form a guide to encourage good curl care. These are the dos and don'ts of curly hair care. Give these tips a try, and let us know if they work for you.
The Dos and Don'ts Of Curly Hair Care
- Regularly hydrate and moisturize your curls. Your hair loses moisture as the day goes on, so don't be afraid to spritz or deep condition your curls regularly.
- Get trims. The only way to effectively manage dead ends is to remove them. Regular trims will prevent your curls from splitting further up the shaft. This will allow for longer, healthier, and stronger curls to grow in.
- Skip on the chemical filled products. Instead, fill your curly care toolkit with natural and organic products. Your curls will thank you!
- Don't continue to use excessive amounts of heat or chemical treatments on your curls. Things like relaxers or straighteners can cause significant damage to your strands, so it's something you want to avoid.
- It's time to upgrade your sleep! Don't continue sleeping on your same old cotton pillowcases. Not only is cotton bad for your skin, it's also terrible for your curls! The fabric wicks away moisture, as well as catches and tears strands. Invest in a silk or satin pillowcase which will allow your strands to slip across the stop.
- When it's time for a trim, don't just go to any old salon. Instead, spend some time and research a stylist with experience in curly hair cutting. Ideally, your stylist will have curly hair and therefore will understand how to cut and style curls. Don't be afraid to request a stylist with experience and advanced training. If your salon can't accommodate your needs, move on to one that can!