If you have curly hair, you can probably relate to all the problems curly haired women go through. It can take a lot of tries and failures to find the right curl care regime and products to make your curls look their absolute best. If you've struggled to find ways to manage your curls, we hear you! Check out this list of things every curly girl should know.
1. Pick the right shampoo: Purchase and use shampoos that are formulated specifically for curls. Shampoos with sulfates can strip your curls of essential moisture and nutrients, which can lead to frizz. Consider cowashing, using a curl-friendly shampoo and supplementing with a clarifier as needed.
2. Cut back on the washes: Your curls will do better without sudsing up every day. In the colder, dryer winter months, consider cutting back to a couple of times a week. Of course, you need to do what's best for your curls and scalp, but washing less allows for your curls to develop natural moisture. To freshen up between washes, spritz with leave in conditioner mixed with water or a curl refresher spray.
3. Avoid brushes: Bristle brushes are not friends to you curls. Using your fingers to stye is best, but if you need a comb grab a wide tooth one. Use only while your curls are wet, and saturated with conditioner.
4. Deep condition regularly: Use a thick, luxurious deep conditioner at least once a week to add moisture to your curls. While your curls are wet, work the product through your curls using your fingers or wide tooth comb. Wrap your hair in a cap and allow the conditioner to sit for about an hour before rinsing it out with lukewarm water.r
5. Get rid of your towel: If you're still using a terry cloth towel to dry your curls, ditch that thing now! Terry cloth roughs up your hair's cuticles, creating a dry, frizzy mess. Instead, opt for a microfiber towel to blot your curls dry with, or use an old, soft t-shirt to wrap your curls in. Press the t-shirt against your curls to gently blot out water.
What are your absolute must-dos for curl care? Let us know and read more tips here.