Whether you're already a naturalista or are beginning your transition to naturally curly hair, it can be hard to figure out the best ways to care for your curls. Each curl needs a different approach and what works for some curlies might not work for others. However, there are some things you can avoid doing that will help your curls stay healthy, and therefore grow longer faster.
1. Not Wrapping Before Bed: Neglecting to wrap your curls in a silk scarf or bonnet will increase their likelihood of being frizzy and loosing moisture overnight. If your curls stay hydrated overnight, you'll need to use less products in the morning to revitalize them.
2. Washing Curls in Hot Water: While a hot shower may feel great during the winter months or after a long day, it can be harsh on your curls. Hot water will strip your curls of their natural oils and moisture. When you're washing your curls, turn the water down to lukewarm and you'll notice a difference in how your curls feel.
3. Not Using Deep Conditioners: Make sure to treat your curls to regular deep conditioning and protein treatments. Neglecting this essential part of your curl care regime can result in dry, lifeless curls.
4. Using Too Many Heat Tools: Spending too much time with the diffuser on your curls or hitting them with curling and flat irons can really wreak havoc on your delicate strands. While air drying is best, if you must use a hair dryer make sure to use a diffuser and keep it on a low setting.
5. Neglecting to Moisturize: In order to be healthy, your curls need to be moisturized. Make sure you're taking care of your body by drinking enough water, and spritz your hair with water, especially in the colder months. You can also choose a daily moisturizing product to help ensure your curls stay hydrated.
Interested in more tips on how to keep your naturally curly hair healthy? Check them out here, and show us pictures of your natural curls!