Which Protective Style You Should Use?
Taking care of curls can be daunting. First of all, there's certainly a lot of information out there to consider. When thinking about which protective style to utilize, it's important to take some things into consideration. This includes the health of your curls, your individual curls' characteristics, and how much time you can devote. Have you ever wondered which protective style you should use on your curls? It's even more overwhelming to pick! Hence, we're going to tell you, so worry no further!
These styles require very limited handling. Likewise, low manipulation styles are for people who:
- Have healthy curls with little to no damage
- Can go two or more days between washes
- Don't need to moisturize strands daily
- Curls don't easily tangle
These hairstyles include braids, two-strand twists, buns, roller sets, and twist outs.
Short Term Protective Styling:
These styles are kept in for 1-2 weeks. They are great for people who:
- Damaged curls
- Those who like to change hairstyles often because they're easy to change
- Curls that easily tangle
- Delicate edges
These types of styles include crown braids, two strand twists, buns, french rolls, or any other styles that protect ends from exposure.
Long Term Protective Styling:
These styles are kept in for 1-2 months. They are perfect for people with:
- Damage as a result from over manipulation, styling, or chemical treatment
- Those with less time for curl care
- Attempting to grow out their curls
- Have patience for styling and proper removal
For long term styling, extensions and weaves are often used. For these styles of protective styles, it's advised to work with a professional stylist. Some curlies choose to use twists or braids for long term protective styling. Therefore, curls are better protected for a longer period of time.
Learn more about the oils and products you can use when creating the perfect protective style here.