African Black Soap has been surging in popularity again amongst the naturally curly community. This product is more commonly referred to as black soap and comes from Ghana and West Africa. It's comprised of the dried skins of cocoa pods, cassava, shea tree bark, palm tree leaves, plantains, and other vegetationWhen used correctly, it can have some amazing benefits for your curls, so here's what to do.
Why it's great:
This soap is superior in a lot of ways to other products because it doesn't contain chemical ingredients. It's full of magnesium and potassium as well as vitamins E and A. True African Black soap is hand harvested by the women in the region and is all natural.
Why you should use it:
This soap has so many benefits for curly hair. It's loaded with anti oxidants, making it a great anti aging agent for your skin and hair. It helps define and maintain your curl pattern with its high oil content, which also makes for less dry curls. It's anti fungal properties also make it an excellent choice for women who experience dandruff or other scalp issues.
African Black Soap Shampoo:
There's a knack to using this shampoo, which will keep your scalp safe from drying out. Follow this recipe to create your own black soap shampoo.
- 1 oz African Black Soap
- 1 cup distilled water
- 5 tbsp jojoba oil
- 1 tsp glycerin
- 1 tsp neme oil
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 1 tsp vitamin E
- ½ tsp argan oil
- 10 drops lavender oil
- 10 drops peppermint oil
- 10 drops rosemary oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar, diluted with 1 cup water for rinsing
What to do:
- Grate or shave 1 oz of your black soap into a mason jar
- Boil the distilled water and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour over the soap in the jar. Use more water for a thinner shampoo or reduce the water for a slightly thicker mixture.
- Allow the soap to dissolve and then incorporate all of your other ingredients until well blended.
- Store in the mason jar or utilize an applicator bottle to help put it on your curls. Use as you would a shampoo in the shower to cleanse and refresh curls.
- Completely rinse and follow with the ACV to restore balanced pH levels to your curls.