When it comes to curl care, we find that simple is often better. This super easy DIY curl care cream will help keep curls soft, banish frizz and make curls easier to style. Another great thing about this homemade shea butter cream is that a little goes a long way. For fine curls, you'll only need a pea sized amount. Its also completely healthy, full of moisturizing and nourishing ingredients. Since you're making it, you know exactly what goes into it, and can adjust ingredients as needed for your specific curl type. For our curlies with thicker locks, you'll use a dime size amount, which is still hardly anything when it comes to product application. This is how you make it:
- 1/4 cup raw shea butter
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1/4 cup pure aloe vera gel
- 10 drops chamomile essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
You can also choose to swap out essential oils based upon what your preferences for scent are, and what your curls need. You also don't need to use any essential oils if there isn't one you prefer.
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil together using a double boiler
- Once it's melted, pour into a bowl and place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or until partially solidified
- Using a hand mixer, whip the solidified mixture for about 3 minutes until creamy
- Add the almond oil and mix
- Add in the aloe vera gel, mixing on high speed to blend and then low speed until completely mixed. Add in the essential oils. Make sure the ingredients are completely whipped together to ensure you get a smooth, even application.
- Transfer the finished mixture to a storage container, such as a glass mason jar.
- Keep in your shower and apply to damp curls after showering for the perfect curl care product to help style healthy, beautiful curls!