Whether you’re an established naturally curly girl or are just beginning the process of learning about your curls, there are definitely some things about your curls you know to be true. While everyone’s experiences with their curls is different, there are a few things that can bind us all together when it comes to our curly hair! From managing your curls on the daily, to doing your best to avoiding the dreaded frizz, there isn’t a situation a curly girl hasn’t encountered!
1. Some days, you’re going to look like a hot mess. Curls do what they want, when they want, and despite all your best efforts, some days will be better than others. On bad curl days, it’s a good idea to have some tricks up your sleeve to wrangle your curls.
2. Your friends with straight hair just don’t get it. While they might envy your twisty locks, they have no idea about the amount of time, energy and let’s face it, product, that goes into keeping your curls looking amazing. So when they offer advice or ask questions like “why don’t you use a brush?” you alternate between being annoyed and feeling sorry for them.
3. Wash day is an all day event. We aren’t like other girls who can wash their hair and run out of the house in twenty minutes. Wash day is a project for us, and can often take several hours. However, it is an excellent time to catch up on your favorite Netflix shows and order some great take out.
4. Even your favorite products can go rogue on you. You’ve spent years cultivating a collection of products and perfecting your routine. Even though you think you know which products are perfect for you, there are still days you can overuse your favorite gel, and end up with the dreaded crunchy curls.
5. Humidity is not your friend. Try as you might to manage the frizz that humidity can create, you know there isn’t a whole lot that can be done. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it, or reach for your favorite hair bands.